Friday, December 18, 2009

Project 7: Synth Design Part II

Today is Friday, and I'm just starting Project 7 because I just finished Project 6.
I pretty much understand how to make the synths, it just takes time to figure out which one you want. So, that'll take the most time, and then we have to come up with our own patterns, which means finding some neat stuff in Riff Machine.
So, I don't forget (you don't have to read this, this is for my own personal forgetful benefit):
1. The shape of the wave(s) that you use.

2. Any adjustments to the shape of the wave (using the sliders next to the wave shape).
3. Which operators and how many of them did you use (1-6).
4. Filter settings.
5. FX Settings.
6. Any envelopes or LFO used to modify the wave (pitch, volume, panning, cutoff filter frequency, etc.).
7. Balance of your loop: Rhythmically busy vs. rhythmically simple and high pitched instruments vs. low (bass) pitched instruments.
8. Form. Is it AABA? ABACA? ABCAB?
_Mr. Rabuse's blog musictech0910.blogspot.com (now it's not copyrighting, right?) oO
Okay, ready? Here's a riddle:
KICKnotnotnotKICKnotnotnotBANGBANGBANGnotBANGnotBANGBANG
There's my drum loop, since I'm not just gonna post that alone. :P
I used a regular snare (that I may or may not change) and my favorite kick drum: FLS_Kick 04.
Peace out. xD
We are finally back and today is the Monday right after vacation.
I personally like the sine wave the best (which means without, in Latin)...sounds the most obscure, and least BAMrightatchya. And, wow, I cannot get over myself because I sound like amahzahzing CANDY. xD Anyways, I have kept the settings all default in the Sytrus for now. I shall tell you the numbers and perks when I choose what I like when I'm messing around. :) We have about 20 minutes, so I should get done.
Kay, here's the numbers (if you have a wonderful imagination, you can even hear them in your head :P):
Shape: 38%
Tension: 0%
Skew: 37%
Sine shaper: 0%
Pre-filter: 55%
Noise: 0%
Sine
Today is Thursday and I've decided to work with AABA format. I put a little fade-in with the drums, using an automation clip. Nothin' fancy, but I didn't want it to start out like wicked loud.
I still have to make another synth. I'll make it sound like uhm, I know, but I don't know what it's called.
Okay, so I didn't get it exactly perfect, but here it is so far (my second synth):
Shape: 100%
Tension: 0%
Skew: 68%
Sine shaper: 55%
Pre-filter: 28%
Noise: 0%
Square
Good thing I posted these numbers, 'cause I just deleted it by accident. xD
Aright, I like my second synth now because I found a good thing in the riff machine. I changed around my whole thing, making the second part be the first 2 parts and the first 2 parts the 3/4 part before the end. :) Techno and them calm techno. haha
I really wanted to have the last part (part A repeated at the end) to be like an Avenged Sevenfold song (yeah, doesn't sound like them at all, but I mean the format) where there's a guitar part and then some drums. Yeah, I'm workin' on it. And, for the second part of A, I'm gonna put some bass and guitar in probably.
By the way, this paragraph and above are Monday. To tell the truth, I messed with a whole bunch of stuff in those two synths...randomly pushing buttons until I like it, so I can't really tell you what I did. And, I know that's what we're supposed to be talking about in this. But...as I go along, I WILL tell you how the high and low uhm complement each other? As well as the simple and complex. I think the two synths in this are going to be the complex...even the drums are a bit more complex, that is, of the guitar and bass that I'm going to make. The bass and guitar are going to be the lower ends of this.
Yeah, I changed my mind for the first part. I had a piano, with pretty much all notes and the basic pattern of the second which turned to the first synth, fade in with the first 2 drum uhm things. Then came the all-out techno, calmer techno, and then outro. Still gotta figure out if and how I'm gonna work some bass/guitar in there.
Maybe I'll use some ghost channels all in the uhm...first synth that became the second's loop. I've got the bass, and yeah, the guitar is just not working for me and I don't want to mess up what I already have. Maybe I'll mess with it some other time. Time to upload for now.




6 comments:

  1. good job tiff, this sounded really cool, i loved your main riff, it was really cool. Again good job tiff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this riff was very techno. i think you did a good job with the different sounds you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems kind of random, but still fits together for the most part. The synths are pretty cool. I dont like the volume fading in at the start, I would just start the drums, and put in the piano after a few seconds. I felt at first listen that after the thrid time the main (loudest) riff is played through the song should go totally berserk into an insane synth solo/breakdown. Listen to the second half of "The Great Destroyer" by NIN. You should have cut and pasted that in where I just said (I dont think Trent Reznor did a great transition into the breakdown anyways). I wonder, if I did a sick solo/breakdown in a song next semester, would I get an automatic A+? Mr. Rabuse, any input?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Eric. :)
    And haha thanks you, too, Josh. :) I like your idea. I'll look that up, too. To tell the truth, I went to riff machine until I found 2 I liked. :P And left it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Aeternalis about the fade in, and the seemingly random way the peices in your loop are put together. It sounds like the shuffle function on my Ipod is going berserk (and sick solo/ breakdowns are always good for your GPA).
    Seriously, I'd like you to DEVELOP your ideas. You started with a piano idea, and then abandoned it for something else. why are those two ideas in the same loop? Also, why are you using piano anyway? This project is about designing your own synths.
    Your loop lacks balance and development of musical ideas.

    ReplyDelete