Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Project 6: Sytrus and the Riff Machine

Yeah, so we've been learning about this Sytrus project for...a while. I never really posted anything, because I didn't do much. :) I just made those 2 default rather annoying beeping noises that I MIGHT change, but then again I might not because they might go rather well with my rather random idea. xD Lotsa rathers, right?
Anyways, today, I'm going to try to work on that AABA format...pick a riff from the Riff Machine that I like and go with it. Then I'll add the instruments, and all that other good junk, 'cause junk food is good like that. :P
I want to go for a rather eerie feel, not sure...if I want to go techno yet.
Mr. Rabuse just helped me out. I wanted to delete the random riff that I had while messing with Sytrus and the Riff Machine, and I found one I really like for not-the-saw-wave Sytrus. haha. Don't know what the right word is.
He showed me this really sick thing called Ghost Channels, and it shows you what the other instruments are playing while you're messing around. It really helps to show you what goes. 'Cause you do trial and error, hear, AND see. xD Pretty wicked.
So, anyways, I'll be happy today if I get a good bass line that I like.
Aright, I got one, but I'm not telling you yet. xD So now...some drums....? Hmm...haha. I think I'm gonna exclude the dear ol' geetar, here. :) I'm saving that for the B section, I think. I kinda wanna make it out there. haha, I think.
Well, anyways, we're leaving in a few...and I can't find any of the options on the left side of the screen. If it doesn't open up with all that next time, I'll just ask Mr. Rabuse. 'Cause I needa find some kick drums 'n tom-toms, snares fer sher, possibly. xD haha
Today is Friday, and I got the little thing on the side back (browser). haha Had to click the browser button.
I got a simple, 4-beat kick drum in there. I think I'll keep it, but change the kick drum.
Okay, yeah, that made no sense. But, I did change it. I went from the regular kick to FLS_Kick 04. Much softer, and I think it goes with the whole feel I wanted much better. I added FLS_Snare 01b, for then 2nd and 4th beat...I think it sounds okay. Not sure if it's the best, though. I tried a snare on the 2nd note and them 3 quarter-notes right before the kick...sounded too busy for an already somewhat busy Sytrus, though. I think the bass compliments it pretty well, though. Guess I'll go insane with the drums when I get to the guitar.
Aright, made a little thing that sounds like the A part. I used Ghost Channel, so I could see what my parameters were. It doesn't sound so hot right now, but it's still a work in progress. Time to go in a minute, or a few...so, peace out. xD
My B part is probably just going to be the guitar (DIST Metal) with the other Sytrus sound in the background. I'm going to post it today, even if it's not done. I can touch up on it later, because progress reports go out tomorrow.
Mr. Rabuse just helped me and we changed up the bass part a bit, to add some motion. For texture, we added this thing called Autogun, for this one sound, that lasted for the whole second part of A.
Part B just WASN'T working. So, Mr. Rabuse found a way to have my second Sytrus match an electric (distorted) guitar called POWER Dire Straits.
I have to go in 10 minutes, so I'll just make sure my thing goes together, before posting and heading out.
Okay, I just posted it. But, I can't figure out how to get my bass any louder, everything else is fine.
Today is Friday (again?) and well, I posted this a few days ago with my embedded file. But, Mr. Rabuse showed me this weird X and Y controller, since I changed the volume of my bass and we messed with this thing called NODX? It's wicked small writing, so I'm not sure if that's even it. But, it's the second to last of the knobs. We set it to 5, like assigning any other automation type thing.
I made it so the effects took place gradually with the bass, with speed, and more of a subtle change in sounding of the bass with the two knobs that reduce the extreme-ness. haha Yeah. So, I will most likely be posting that today and moving onto Project 7, which from what I've heard, is much like this one.




7 comments:

  1. Ghost channels are very helpful for dressing up a riff machine product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are! Thank you so much for showing me them. haha I Love it. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely Love this peice. I Love the over powering bass and the weaker guitar. Makes me think of some Muse songs (just much different). I like the synth sounds and riffs too, expecially how every few beats you get that sound. Kind of like a gust of air being blocked by a closing door, im not very sure but im guessing tis is a filter closing in. It sounds so cool. If this was on repeat for like 7 minutes I would listen to it the whole way through. But I do that here at home on the demo version all the time when Windows Media Player isnt co-operating. I dont have a good ear, but I could just faintly hear the kick and snare drum. I personally dont think they were necessary, but just pointing it out. Very Very cool peice Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i liked how the bass riff over powered the guitar riff, i thought that was a good idea. I also liked how that noise, i dont know what it was but it got louder then softer again in the beggining, good job tiff

    ReplyDelete